Place:


Crux Easton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crux Easton like this:

CRUX-EASTON, a parish in Kingsclere district, Hants; 5¾ miles NNW of Whitchurch r. station, and 7 WSW of Kingsclere. Post town, Highclere, under Newbury. Acres, 1, 099. Real property, £780. Pop., 76. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Croch the Hunter. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £180.* Patron, the Rev. James Bagge. The church is good. A grotto was here, now extinct, built by nine sisters of the name of Lisle, and sung as follows by Pope, -

Here shunning idleness at once and praise,
This radiant pile nine rural sisters raise;
The glittering emblem of each spotless dame,
Pure as her soul and shining as her fame. -
Beauty which nature only can impart,
And such a polish as disgraces art;
But fate disposed them in this humble sort,
And hid in deserts what would charm a court.

Crux Easton through time

Crux Easton is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crux Easton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crux Easton, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3423

Date accessed: 18th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crux Easton ".