Place:


Cumwhitton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cumwhitton like this:

CUMWHITTON, a township and a parish in Brampton district, Cumberland. The township lies near the river Eden, 2¾ miles S by E of How Mill r. station, and 7¾ ESE of Carlisle. Real property, £1, 875. Pop., 222. Houses, 50. The parish contains also the township of Northsceugh-wi-Moorthwaite; and its post town is Corby, under Carlisle. ...


Acres, 5, 400. Real property, £5, 148. Pop., 529. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The surface contains some fine scenery. A waste tract in the south-east, called King Harry, has the Druidical circle of Grey Yauds, 52 yards in diameter, with 88 stones. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £102.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is tolerable.

Cumwhitton through time

Cumwhitton is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cumwhitton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cumwhitton, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2889

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cumwhitton ".