Place:


Warwick  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warwick like this:

WARWICK, a township and a parish in Carlisle district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Eden, 1¼ mile N of Wetheral r. station, and 4¼ E by N of Carlisle; was known to the Saxons as Warringwick; belonged anciently to the family of Warwick; and passed, after 1772, to the Parkers. Acres, 1,286. Real property, £2,186. Pop., 205. Houses, 51. The parish includes also Aglionby township, and comprises 1,845 acres. Post town, Warwick-Bridge, under Carlisle. Pop., 324. Houses, 74. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Wetheral. The church is Norman.

Warwick through time

Warwick is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Warwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warwick, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2199

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Warwick ".