Place:


Lozells  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lozells like this:

LOZELLS, a chapelry in Aston parish, Warwickshire; forming a northern suburb of Birmingham, and adjoining Aston Park. It was constituted in 1853. Post town, Birmingham. Rated property, £23,614. Pop., 10,923. Houses, 2,225 The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. ...


Value, £330. Patron, the Rev. D. N. Watton. The church was built in 1854, at a cost of about £2,650; is a plain brick structure, cruciform, in the early English style; and has a lofty bell-turret. An Independent chapel was erected in 1862, at a cost of about £3,000; is in the Italian style; and presents an elliptical projection, of lofty archway, supported by coupled piers, with richly-carved capitals, and surmounted by pediment and cornice. A Wesleyan chapel, in lieu of a previous one, was built in 1865, at a cost of about £4,000; is in the French first pointed style; and has a tower and spire 130 feet high. A Unitarian chapel is in Villastreet.

Lozells through time

Lozells is now part of Birmingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Birmingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lozells itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lozells, in Birmingham and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21001

Date accessed: 15th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lozells ".