Mickleham  Surrey


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mickleham like this:

MICKLEHAM, a village and a parish in Dorking district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, adjacent to the Leatherhead and Horsham railway, 2 miles S by E of Leatherhead; was known at Domesday as Micleham; is a pleasant place, with charming environs, under Box hill; and has a post office, ‡ under Dorking. ...

The parish contains also the hamlet of West Humble, and includes part of the chapelry of Ranmore. Acres, 2,849. Real property, £5,965. Pop., 721. Houses, 130. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Bishop Odo. Norbury Park was held, in the time of Edward II., by the family of Husee, under the Earls of Gloucester; passed to the Stedolphs, one of whom received Evelyn here "among his goodly walks and hills shaded with yew and box; ''went afterwards to Anthony Chapman, Esq.; was sold by him in 1774 to Mr. Lock, the friend of Madame D'Arblay; and belongs now to T. Grissell, Esq. The mansion stands on the summit of a lofty eminence, commanding rich views of hill and dale; includes portions built by Mr. Lock, and adorned by the painters Barrett, Cipriani, Gilpin, and Pastorini; and was mainly rebuilt in 1849. Juniper Hill is the seat of W. H. Lambton, Esq.; Juniper Hall, of Miss F. Beardmore; the Grove, of E. Arnold, Esq.; Mickleham Hall, of J. Smith, Esq.; Belldawe House, of E. Smith, Esq; Cleveland Lodge, of J. Johnstone, Esq.; and Burford Lodge, of J. Matthews, Esq. Box hill rises to an altitude of 445 feet above the Mole's level; is steep and verdurous on the N side, and covered with box-trees on the W; commands a splendid view to the Sussex downs and to the N of London; and is much frequented, in summer, by picnic parties. Several curious hollows, called Swallows, and evidently communicating with the Mole, are in the neighbourhood of the hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £440. * Patrons, Misses Talbot. The church is chiefly transition Norman; was restored, but at the same time defaced, in 1823; has a low massive square tower with spire, and a remarkable chancel-arch; includes a cross-aisle and a "Norbury'' or N chancel; and contains an oak screen dividing the chancel from the nave, a richly carved oak-pulpit, an altar-tomb of the time of Henry VIII., and some brasses. There are a national school, alms houses, and charities £4. The alms houses were rebuilt in 1865; consist of a centre two stories high, and two wings; contain accommodation for eight families; and adjoin,.and harmonize with, the national school.

Mickleham through time

Mickleham is now part of Mole Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mole Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mickleham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mickleham, in Mole Valley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 26th October 2020

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mickleham ".