Place:


Walton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walton like this:

WALTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Brampton district, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Irthing and on the Roman wall, 2¾ miles N of Brampton, and 3½ NW of Milton r. station; and contains, in its cottages, many stones of the Roman wall. The parish comprises Low W. ...


and High W. townships, and comprises 3,592 acres. Post town, Brampton, Cumberland. Real property, £4,183; of which £40 are in quarries. Pop., 407. Houses, 80. The property is much subdivided. W. Hall belonged to the Dacres, and passed to the Johnsons. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle Value, £124.* Patron, J. Dacre, Esq. The church is good; and there is an endowed school.—The sub-district contains two parishes and a part. Pop., 2,782. Houses, 540.

Walton through time

Walton is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walton, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1583

Date accessed: 25th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walton ".