Place:


Combe  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Combe like this:

COMBE, a parish in the district of Hungerford and County of Hants; at the boundary with Berks and Wilts, 6 miles SSE of Hungerford r. station, and 10½ N of Andover. It includes the hamlet of Eastwick; and has a post office under Hungerford. Acres, 2, 226. Real property, £1, 786. Pop., 225. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £107.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church is a very small ancient building, with a small wooden tower.

Combe through time

Combe is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Combe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Combe, in West Berkshire and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1420

Date accessed: 18th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Combe ".