Place:


Middleton Stoney  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton Stoney like this:

MIDDLETON-STONEY, a village and a parish in Bicester district, Oxford. The village stands 3 miles E by S of Heyford r. station, and 3¼ W by N of Bicester; is a very pretty place; was once a market town; and has a post office under Bicester. The parish comprises 1,834 acres. Real property, £2,191. ...


Pop., 259. Houses, 66. The manor belonged anciently to W. Longsword; passed to the Lacys and others; and belongs now to the Earl of Jersey. Middleton House is the Earl's seat; succeeded a previous mansion, destroyed by fire in 1753; contains some interesting portraits; and stands in a beautiful park. A castle of the Norman times stood near the church; and the foundations of it can still be traced. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £400. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church stands in the middle of the park; is transition Norman, in good condition; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; has a good early English arcade outside the tower; and includes, on the N side, a recent and beautifully decorated mortuary chapel of the Earl of Jersey.

Middleton Stoney through time

Middleton Stoney is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Middleton Stoney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton Stoney, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9966

Date accessed: 11th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Middleton Stoney ".