Place:


Whittonstall  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whittonstall like this:

WHITTONSTALL, a township-chapelry in Bywell-St. Peter parish, Northumberland; 3¼ miles N NW of Shotley-Bridge, and 3½ SSW of Stocksfield r. station. Post town, Stocksfield, Northumberland. Acres, 1,968. Pop., 219. Houses, 39. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £45.* Patrons, the Trustees of Lord Crewe. The church was built in 1832.

Whittonstall through time

Whittonstall is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whittonstall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whittonstall, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9949

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whittonstall ".