Place:


Golborne  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Golborne like this:

GOLBORNE, a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire; on the Wigan and Newton railway, 2 miles NNE of Newton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Warrington. It was formerly a township of Winwick parish. Acres, 1, 634. Real property, £6, 683; of which £1, 038 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 910; in 1861, 2, 776. Houses, 513. The increase of pop. arose from the demand for operatives in cotton factories. The property is subdivided. Golborne Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £110.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is a modern edifice, in the early English style; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are an Independent chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1863, a Church of England school, and charities £36.

Golborne through time

Golborne is now part of Wigan district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wigan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Golborne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Golborne, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/993

Date accessed: 31st May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Golborne ".