Place:


Lower Heyford  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lower Heyford like this:

HEYFORD (Lower), HEYFORD-PURCELL, or HEYFORD-at-BRIDGE, a parish in Bicester district, Oxford; on the river Cherwell, the Oxford canal, and the Oxford, Birmingham, and Wolverhampton railway, at Heyford r. station, 6 miles WNW of Bicester. It contains the village of Lower Heyford, which has a post office under Oxford, a weekly market on Monday, and cattle and sheep sales during the year; and it includes also the hamlet of Calcutt. ...


Acres, 1, 650. Real property, £3, 046. Pop., 625. Houses, 131. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £496. * Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are two Methodist chapels, a school supported by the Countess of Jersey, and charities £31.

Lower Heyford through time

Lower Heyford is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lower Heyford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lower Heyford, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9846

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lower Heyford ".