Place:


Hethe  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hethe like this:

HEATH, or HETHE, a village and a parish in Bicester district, Oxford. The village stands on an affluent of the river Ouse, 5 miles NNE of Bicester r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Hethe, under Bicester. The parish comprises 1, 300 acres. Real property, £1, 253. Pop., 442. ...


Houses, 98. The manor belongs to J. H. S. Harrison, Esq. Heath House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £164.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; was recently restored and enlarged; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and S porch; and has a very old font. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, a national school, and charities £4.

Hethe through time

Hethe is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hethe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hethe, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9844

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hethe ".