Place:


Whitsbury  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitsbury like this:

WHITSBURY, or Whitchbury, a parish in Fordingbridge district, and partly in Hants, but chiefly in Wilts; 2¼ miles W of Breamore r. station, and 3½ NNW of Fordingbridge. Post town, Fordingbridge, under Salisbury. Acres, 1,850. Rated property, £1,375. Pop., 204. Houses, 39. The manor belonged once to Breamore priory. A Saxon camp, of 15½ acres, is on a hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £284.* Patron, Vice-Admiral Purves. The church is not good. Charities, £6.

Whitsbury through time

Whitsbury is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitsbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitsbury, in New Forest and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9841

Date accessed: 24th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitsbury ".