Place:


Aldingham  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldingham like this:

ALDINGHAM, a parish in Ulverstone district, Lancashire; on Morecambe bay, 4 miles E of Furness Abbey r. station, and 5 S by W of Ulverstone. It includes the divisions of Gleaston and Leece. Post Town, Bardsea under Ulverstone. Acres, 4,694. Real property, £8,497. Pop., 1,011. Houses, 186. ...


The property is much sub-divided. Much land formerly in the parish has been carried off by the sea. Gleaston Castle, now a ruin of three towers, with connecting walls, was a seat of the Flemings, and of the Duke of Suffolk, the father of Lady Jane Grey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £1,093.* Patron, the Crown. The church is very good. The p. curacy of Dendron is a separate benefice. Charities, £15.

Aldingham through time

Aldingham is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldingham, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9821

Date accessed: 02nd June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldingham ".