Place:


Wylam  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wylam like this:

WYLAM, a township, with a village, in Ovingham parish, Northumberland and; on the river Tyne and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 8¼ miles W of Newcastle. It lies mainly on the N side of the river, partly on the S side; and has a wooden bridge over the river, a post-office designated Wylam, Northumberland, a r. station, a shot factory, a blast furnace for pig iron, extensive collieries, stone quarries, two Methodist chapels, and a national school. Acres, 930. Pop., 1,040. Houses, 194. W. Hall was anciently a peel. George Stephenson, the famous engineer, was a native.

Wylam through time

Wylam is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wylam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wylam, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9803

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wylam ".