Place:


Whitton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitton like this:

WHITTON, a township in Rothbury parish, Northumberland; ½ mile S of Rothbury. Acres, 674. Pop., 39. Houses, 10. W. Tower was built, in the 15th century, by one of the Umfravilles; has walls 7 feet thick, corner-turrets, and a dungeon; and is now Rothbury rectory-house.

Whitton through time

Whitton is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitton, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9788

Date accessed: 17th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitton ".