Place:


Warden  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warden like this:

WARDEN, a parish in Hexham district, Northumberland; at the confluence of the rivers North Tyne and South Tyne, and near Fourstones r. station, 3¼ miles WNW of Hexham. Post town, Hexham. Acres, 3,122. Real property, £4,679; of which £103 are in mines. Pop., 716. Houses, 127. ...


The property is subdivided. Lime and coal are worked; and there is a paper-mill. A circular camp is at High W.; and a petrifying well is near the North Tyne. The living is a vicarage, united with Newbrough and Haydon-Bridge, in the diocese of Durham. The church is partly early English, partly of 1763 and 1805.

Warden through time

Warden is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Warden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warden, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9751

Date accessed: 26th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Warden ".