Place:


North Sunderland  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Sunderland like this:

SUNDERLAND (North), a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Bambrough parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the coast, 4 miles ENE of Chathill r. station, and 7 ESE of Belford; is a small sea-port, a lifeboat station, and a seat of fisheries; and has a post-office‡ under Chathill. ...


The township comprises 1,097 acres. Pop. in 1851, 1,208; in 1861, 1,008. Houses, 231. The decrease of pop. was caused by the stoppage of lime-works. The chapelry was constituted in 1843. Pop., 1,178. Houses, 265. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £200.* Patrons, the Trustees of Bishop Lord Crewe. The church was built in 1833. There are chapels for English Presbyterians and United Presbyterians.

North Sunderland through time

North Sunderland is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Sunderland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Sunderland, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9694

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Sunderland ".