Place:


Finstock  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Finstock like this:

FINSTOCK, a hamlet and a chapelry in Charlbury parish, Oxford. The hamlet lies near the river Even-lode, 2½ miles SSW of Charlbury r. station, and 4½ N of Witney. Acres, 1, 220. Real property, £1, 526. Pop., 533. Houses, 118. The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Fawler; bears the name of Finstock and Fawler: and was constituted in 1860. ...


Post town, Charlbury, under Enstone. Acres, 2, 200. Real property, £4, 075. Pop., 676. Houses, 147. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £75.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is modern; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Finstock through time

Finstock is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Finstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Finstock in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9678

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Finstock ".