Place:


Slaley  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slaley like this:

SLALEY, a parish, with a village, in Hexham district, Northumberland; 3¾ miles S of Corbridge r. station. It has a post-office under Hexham. Acres, 7,430. Real property, £2,897; of which £60 are in mines. Pop., 561. Houses, 113. The property is much subdivided. Lead-works are at Dukesfield; and ochre is found on Slaley fell. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £103.* Patron, W. B. Beaumont, Esq. The church was built in 1832. Charities, £14.

Slaley through time

Slaley is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Slaley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slaley, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9675

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Slaley ".