Place:


Simonburn  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Simonburn like this:

SIMONBURN, a township and a parish in Hexham district, Northumberland. The township lies 3½ miles S of Wark r. station, and 8 NNW of Hexham; and contains a village of its own name. Pop., 494. Houses, 99. The parish includes Haughton and Humshaugh townships, and comprises 13,372 acres. Post town, Hexham. ...


Real property, £8,958. Pop., 1,042. Houses, 205. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Haughton Cast1e is the seat of G. Crawshay, Esq.; Nunwick Hall, of J. H. Allgood, Esq.; Park End, of J. Ridley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £426. Patron, Greenwich Hospital. The church's chancel was rebuilt in 1862. The p. curacy of Humshaugh is a separate benefice.

Simonburn through time

Simonburn is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Simonburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Simonburn, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9674

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Simonburn ".