Place:


Shotley  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shotley like this:

SHOTLEY, a village, two townships, and a parish, in Hexham district, Northumberland. The village stands 6 miles SSE of Riding-Mill r. station, and 9 SE of Hexham; and is in S. Low-Quarter township. That township comprises 6,676 acres. Pop., 637. Houses, 124. The other township is S. High-Quarter, or Blanchland; is noticed in the article Blanchland; and has a post-office,‡ of the name of Blanchland, formerly under Carlisle, now under Riding-Mill, Northumberland. ...


The parish contains also the township of Newbiggin, and comprises 12,460 acres. Real property, £2,516; of which £25 are in mines. Pop., 1,180. Houses, 229. The manor belongs to H.Silvertop and T. Wilson, Esqs. Much of the land is moor and mountain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £139* Patrons, the Trustees of Bishop Lord Crewe. The church was built in 1834. The p. curacy of Blanchland is a separate benefice. There are a Baptist chapel, built in 1856, and an endowed school with £14 a year.

Shotley through time

Shotley is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shotley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shotley, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9673

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shotley ".