Place:


Rock  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rock like this:

ROCK, a township-chapelry in Embleton parish, Northumberland; 1 mile S W by S of Christon-Bank r.station, and 4¾ N N E of Alnwick. It has a post-office under Alnwick. Acres, 1, 973. Pop., 230. Houses, 41. R. House is the seat of the Rev. R. W. Bosanquet; and includes an ancient ivy-clad tower, which belonged formerly to the Lawsons and the Salkelds. There is somefine scenery. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £86. Patron, the Vicar of Embleton. The church is mainly Norman, with modern apse and belfry.

Rock through time

Rock is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rock, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9639

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rock ".