Place:


Bootle  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bootle like this:

BOOTLE-CUM-LINACRE, a township and three chapelries in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Mersey, the Liverpool and Southport railway, and the L. and Leeds canal, 3¼ miles N by W of Liverpool; was, till lately, a much-frequented watering-place, but is now occupied, on all its river front, by Liverpool docks; and has a post office ‡ under Liverpool, and four railway stations. ...


Acres, 1,781; of which 610 are water. Real property in 1860, £25,158. Pop. in 1861, 6,414. Houses, 1,048. Pop. in 1869, about 15,200.-The chapelries are St. Mary, St. John, and Christchurch; the two former p. curacies, the latter a vicarage, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. M., £300; of C., £300.* Patron of St. M., W. S. Millar, Esq.; of St. J. and C., Trustees. St. M. 's church was built in 1826; St. J. 's in 1864, at a cost of £5,000;church, in 1866, at a cost of £8,800; and all are handsome. A Wesleyan chapel, in French first-pointed style, was built in 1864. A Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1868. There are also United Presbyterian, Baptist, and Welsh Methodist chapels, a national school, and a Christian Association's reading and lecture rooms.

Bootle through time

Bootle is now part of Sefton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sefton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bootle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bootle, in Sefton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/962

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bootle ".