Place:


Drayton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Drayton like this:

DRAYTON, a parish in Banbury district, Oxford; near the Oxford canal and the Oxford and Rugby railway, 2 miles NW by W of Banbury. Post town, Wroxton, under Banbury. Acres, 1, 260. Real property, 1,803. Pop., 186. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Ardens and the Grevilles; and belongs now to Earl Delawarr and Colonel North. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, 316.* Patron, Earl Delawarr. The church is old but good, and contains monuments of the Grevilles. Charities, £30.

Drayton through time

Drayton is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Drayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Drayton, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9613

Date accessed: 27th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Drayton ".