Place:


Audenshaw  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Audenshaw like this:

AUDENSHAW, a village, a chapelry, a parochial division, and a subdistrict, in the district of Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to the Ashton canal and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 3 miles SW of Ashton; and has a post office under Manchester.—The chapelry Was constituted in 1844. ...


Rated property, £9,000. Pop., 5,185. Houses, 1,037. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, altern. the Crown and the Bishop. The church is in the early English style. There are Methodist chapels and good schools.-The division includes the villages of Hooley-hill, Walkmill, Littlemoss, Wood-houses, and North Street, and part of the borough of Ashton-under-Lyne. Real property £20,814. Pop., 6,327. Houses, 1,277. Many of the inhabitants are employed in hat-making, cotton-spinning, calico-printing, and silk-weaving. The large reservoirs of the Manchester and Salford waterworks are in the SW. High-Ash is an old hall of the Stopfords, where coats of arms and portraits of the kings of England were once preserved; and Shepley Hall is a modern seat, well-known for its collection of pictures.-The subdistrict includes also a township of Manchester parish. Acres, 1,611. Pop., 15,125. Houses, 2,995.

Audenshaw through time

Audenshaw is now part of Tameside district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tameside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Audenshaw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Audenshaw, in Tameside and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/960

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Audenshaw".