Place:


Little Hulton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Hulton like this:

HULTON (LITTLE), a village and a township chapelry in Deane parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2¼ miles WSW of Halshaw-Moor and Farnworth r. station, and 3½ S of Bolton; is a considerable place, inhabited chiefly by weavers and colliers; and has a post office under Bolton. The chapelry is sometimes called Peel. ...


Acres, 1, 470. Real property, £18, 005; of which £11, 084 are in mines, and £86 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3, 184; in 1861, 3, 390. Houses, 670. Peel Hall belongs to Harrison Blair, Esq.; and Kenyon Peel Hall, to Lord Kenyon. Coal is largely worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, Lord Kenyon. The church is a plain building, with a bell turret. There are a school room used for worship, chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Little Hulton through time

Little Hulton is now part of Salford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Hulton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Hulton, in Salford and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/96

Date accessed: 28th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Hulton ".