Place:


Ovington  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ovington like this:

OVINGTON, a township, with a village, in Ovingham parish, Northumberland; on the N bank of the river Tyne, 2 miles N E of Stocksfield r. station, and 9 E of Hexham. Acres, 1, 105. Pop., 420. Houses, 97. Ovington Hall and Ovington Cottage are chief residences. Malting and brewing are largely carried on. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.

Ovington through time

Ovington is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ovington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ovington, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9599

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ovington ".