Place:


Norham  Northumberland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Norham like this:

Norham, par., township, and vil. with ry. sta., Northumberland, on river Tweed - par., 15,169 ac., pop. 2682; township, 2554 ac., pop. 920; vil., 6 miles SW. of Berwick; P.O., T.O.; is an ancient place, and long held an important position, being the capital of Norhamshire, and the seat of the Bishop of Durham's exchequer and courts of justice; a bridge (1840) crosses the Tweed here. Norham Castle (1121), now an imposing ruin, with massive square tower, surmounts a steep wooded portion of the river's bank, and was an important stronghold in the annals of Border warfare.

Norham through time

Norham is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norham, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9576

Date accessed: 19th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norham ".