Place:


Newsham  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newsham like this:

NEWSHAM, a lordship in Earsdon parish, Northumberland; on the coast, and on the Blyth and Tyne railway, at the junction of the short branch to Blyth, 1¾mile S W of Blyth. It has a station at the railway junction. Pop. in 1851, 524; in 1861, 948. Houses, 188. The increase of pop. was caused by the extension of collieries. The property belonged formerly to the Delavels, the Cramlingtons, and others; and belongs now to Sir M. Ridley, Bart. Bricks and tiles are largely made.

Newsham through time

Newsham is now part of Blyth Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blyth Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newsham, in Blyth Valley and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9562

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newsham ".