Place:


Churchill  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Churchill like this:

CHURCHILL, a parish in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford; on the Chipping-Norton railway, 1¾ mile NE of Chipping-Norton Junction r. station, and 3 SW of Chipping-Norton. It has a post office under Chipping-Norton. Acres, 2, 850. Real property, £4, 081. Pop., 642. Houses, 123. The property is chiefly in one estate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £177. Patron, the Earl of Ducie. The church is good; and there are charities £18. Warren Hastings was a native.

Churchill through time

Churchill is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Churchill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Churchill in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9536

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Churchill ".