Place:


Chadlington  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chadlington like this:

CHADLINGTON, a village, a chapelry, a tything, and a hundred, in Oxford. The village stands near the river Evenlode and the Oxford and Worcester railway, 2½ miles NW by N of Charlbury r. station, and 3½ SSE of Chipping-Norton; and has a post office under Enstone. The chapelry includes the village, and bears the name of East Chadlington. ...


The tything lies a mile to the NW, and bears the name of West Chadlington; and both are in Charlbury parish. Acres of both, 3,300. Real property, of E. Chadlington, £1,385; of W. Chadlington, £3,520. Pop. of both, 753. Houses, 157. The chapelry living is annexed to the vicarage of Charlbury. The church is ancient. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.-The hundred extends to the boundary with Warwick and Gloucester; and contains twenty-three parishes, and part of another. Acres, 67,695. Pop. in 1851, 13,804; in 1861, 13,837. Houses, 2,986.

Chadlington through time

Chadlington is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chadlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chadlington in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9522

Date accessed: 14th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chadlington ".