Place:


Milfield  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milfield like this:

MILFIELD, a village and a township in Kirknewton parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Till, 4½ miles NW of Wooler; is the Maelmain of Bede; was a seat of the kings of Northumbria; and has a postoffice under Alnwick. The township comprises 1,471 acres. Pop., 225. Houses, 49. Milfield Hall is a chief residence. Milfield Plain was the scene of a discomfiture of the Scots, by Bulmer, before the battle of Flodden. Roman relics have been found. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Milfield through time

Milfield is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milfield, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9495

Date accessed: 11th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milfield ".