Place:


Mickley  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mickley like this:

MICKLEY, a township and a chapelry in Ovingham parish, Northumberland. The township lies near a side station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 9½ miles E by S of Hexham; and contains the village of Mickley-Square, which has a post office under Stocksfield. Acres, 1,188. Pop. in 1851,566; in 1861,1,208. ...


Houses, 216. The increase of pop. arose from extension of collieries. The manor belongs to W. B. Wrightson, Esq. Coal-mining and coking are largely carried on by the Mickley Coal company.—The chapelry contains also six other townships. Pop., 2,800. The living is a Vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £90. Patron, W. B. Wrightson, Esq. The church was built in 1824. There is an endowed school, with capacity for 200 children.

Mickley through time

Mickley is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mickley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mickley, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9483

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mickley ".