Place:


Willoughby  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Willoughby like this:

WILLOUGHBY, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands near the Oxford canal, 7 miles S by E of Rugby r. station; was known, at Domesday, as Wilebei; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Rugby. The parish comprises 2,290 acres. Real property, £4,051. ...


Pop., 372. Houses, 89. The manor belonged once to St. Johns Hospital, Oxford; and passed to Magdalen College. A medicinal spring is about a mile from the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £260. Patron. Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are a dissenting chapel, an endowed school, and charities £440.

Willoughby through time

Willoughby is now part of Rugby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rugby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Willoughby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Willoughby, in Rugby and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9443

Date accessed: 23rd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Willoughby ".