Place:


Stockton  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stockton like this:

STOCKTON, a parish, with a village, in Southam district, Warwick; 4 miles NE of Southam-Road r. station. It has a post-office‡ under Rugby. Acres, 1,800. Real property, £2,970; of which £150 are in quarries. Pop., 548. Houses, 114. S. House is the seat of R. F. Welchman, Esq. Blue lias lime is largely manufactured. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £278.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church, excepting the chancel and the tower, was rebuilt in 1863. There are two national schools.

Stockton through time

Stockton is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stockton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stockton, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9362

Date accessed: 23rd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stockton ".