Place:


Bletchingdon  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bletchingdon like this:

BLETCHINGTON, or Blechingdon, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Bicester, Oxford. The parish lies near Akeman-street, the Oxford canal, the river Cherwell, and the Oxford and Rugby railway, 2 miles NE of Woodstock Road station, and 6 SW by W of Bicester; and it has a post office under Oxford. ...


Acres, 2,540. Real property, £4,631. Pop, 659. Houses, 142. Bletchington Park is the seat of Viscount Valentia; was partly rebuilt near the end of last century; and occupies the site of a house which was held for the king, and surrendered to the parliament, in the civil war. A striped marble is found here, which has been used in ornamental architecture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £356. Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. Charities, £55. Dr. Fairclough was a native. The subdistrict comprises seventeen parishes. Acres, 30,178. Pop., 7,440. Houses, 1,629.

Bletchingdon through time

Bletchingdon is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bletchingdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bletchingdon, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9361

Date accessed: 03rd July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bletchingdon ".