Place:


Sheldon  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sheldon like this:

SHELDON, a parish, with a village, in Meriden district, Warwick; 1 mile SW of Marston-Green r. station, and 4½ SW of Coleshill. It has a post-office under Birmingham. Acres, 2,514. Real property, £4,891. Pop., 434. Houses, 90. The manor belongs to the Rev. J. W. Digby. S. Hall was formerly the seat of the Devereux family, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £500* Patron, G. W. Digby, Esq. The church is tolerable. There are a good library, an endowed school with £36 a year, and charities £36.

Sheldon through time

Sheldon is now part of Birmingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Birmingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sheldon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sheldon, in Birmingham and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9345

Date accessed: 24th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sheldon ".