Place:


Seckington  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seckington like this:

SECKINGTON, a parish in the district of Tamworth and county of Warwick; 3 miles N of Polesworth r. station, and 4 E N E of Tamworth. Post-town, Tamworth. Acres, 806. Real property, £1, 406. Pop., 108. Houses, 24. The manor was anciently called Seccandun, and belongs now to Sir R. Burdett, Bart. A battle was fought here, in 757, between Cuthred and Ethelwald. There are a barrow and remains of an ancient camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £250.* Patron, Sir R. Burdett, Bart. The church is ancient, and has a tower and spire.

Seckington through time

Seckington is now part of North Warwickshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Warwickshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seckington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seckington in North Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9344

Date accessed: 26th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seckington ".