Place:


Humbleton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Humbleton like this:

HUMBLETON, a township in Doddington parish, Northumberland; 1 mile NE of Wooler. Acres, 784. Pop., 152. Houses, 36. The name was originally Humbledown; has sometimes been written Homildon; and, by Shakspeare, in his Henry IV., is written Holmedon. A hill here, called Humbleton Heugh, is cut into terraces, 30 feet broad, sometimes in three tiers, sometimes in five, probably formed, at an early period, for purposes of cultivation; and is crowned by an ancient, large, circular camp. ...


A plain, below the hill, was the scene, in 1402, of a great defeat of the Earl of Douglas and the Duke of Albany by the Earl of Northumberland and his son Hotspur; bears the name of Redrigs; and has remains of a stone pillar, set up to commemorate the event. An urn and a stone coffin, inclosing a gigantic skeleton, were discovered here in 1811.

Humbleton through time

Humbleton is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Humbleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Humbleton, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9320

Date accessed: 11th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Humbleton ".