Place:


Hepple  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hepple like this:

HEPPLE and HEPPLE-DEMESNE, two townships in Rothbury parish, Northumberland; on the river Coquet, 5½ miles W by S of Rothbury. Acres, 3, 874 and 1, 534. Pop., 74 and 30. Houses 14 and 6. Hepple House is the seat of Sir Walter Riddell, Bart.; and includes remains of an ancient castle, which belonged to the Bardolfs, the Talboyses, and the Ogles. ...


An ancient chapel stood on Kirk-hill, about ¼ of a mile to the W; was destroyed by the moss troopers; and was completely removed in 1760. An ancient British camp is at Helchester, near a Roman way; and a number of urns have been found.

Hepple through time

Hepple is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hepple itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hepple, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9277

Date accessed: 17th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hepple ".