Place:


Hedley  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hedley like this:

HEDLEY-ON-THE-HILL, AND HEDLEY-WOODSIDE, two townships in Ovingham parish, Northumberland; adjacent to the boundary with Durham, 3 miles SE of Stocksfield r. station, and 10 ESE of Hexham. Acres, 1, 399 and 1, 364. Pop., 241 and 69. Houses, 48 and 8. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Hedley through time

Hedley is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hedley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hedley, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9272

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hedley ".