Kings Newnham  Warwickshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kings Newnham like this:

NEWNHAM-REGIS, a parish in Rugby district, Warwick; on the Oxford canal, near the Trent Valley railway, 2 miles S E of Stretton r. station, and 4 N W by W of Rugby. It has a post-office, of the name of Newnham, under Rugby. Acres, 1, 418. Real property, £2, 308; of which £148 are in quarries. ...

Pop., 129. Houses, 34. The manor belonged formerly to the Crown and to Kenilworth priory. There are lime-works and a chaly-beate spring; and the latter is mentioned in Camden's Britannia, acquired considerable celebrity, went into disuse, and was restored in 1857 by the late Lord John Scott. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Church-Lawford, in the diocese of Worcester. The church went long ago to ruin, and is now represented by only an ivy-clad tower. Its site came to be used as a stack-yard; was partly excavated in 1852; and wasfound to cover embalmed remains of several members of the noble family of Chichester.

Kings Newnham through time

Kings Newnham is now part of Rugby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rugby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kings Newnham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kings Newnham, in Rugby and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 12th August 2020

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kings Newnham ".