Place:


Halton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halton like this:

HALTON, a township and a chapelry in Corbridge parish, Northumberland. The township lies on the Roman wall, adjacent to Watling street, 5 miles NE of Hexham. Acres, 798. Pop., 45. Houses, 8. Halton Castle, ½ a mile S of the Roman wall, belonged to the Haltons; passed to the Carnabys; belongs now to Sir E. ...


Blackett; consists chiefly of stones taken from Roman buildings; and is a massive square tower, with corner turrets. A Jacobean farm house is attached to it; and has some Roman mouldings and a weathered sculpture, which probably was part of a sepulchral slab. A small old church is near the castle, and appears, like the castle, to have been built chiefly of Roman stones. Halton-Chesters, on the Roman wall, was the station Hunnum, occupied by the Ala Sabiniana; comprised an area of 4¼ acres; but is now so obliterated that even an antiquary who has not been forewarned, might pass through it without recognising it; yet, so late as 1827, when the last portion of it was subjected to the plough, was found to contain numerous substructions of very careful masonry.—The chapelry includes also Halton-Shields township, and is annexed to the vicarage of Corbridge in the diocese of Durham.

Halton through time

Halton is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halton, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9207

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halton ".