Place:


Hallington  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hallington like this:

HALLINGTON, a township in St. John Lee parish, Northumberland; near the R man wall, 8 miles NNE of Hexham. Pop., 109. Houses, 20. This place was anciently called Halydon; it disputes with St. Oswald's being the Hefen-felth or Heaven-field of Bede, so called from a famous battle Won by King Oswald in 675; it belonged anciently to Hexham priory; and it had a beacon tower at a curious hill called Hangingshaws.

Hallington through time

Hallington is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hallington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hallington, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9203

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hallington ".