Place:


Guyzance  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Guyzance like this:

GUYSON, or GUYZANCE, a township in Shilbottle pariSh, Northumberland; on the river Coquet, 7 miles S of Alnwick. It includes the hamlet of Brainshough. Acres, 1, 332. Pop., 217. Houses, 41. A priory was founded here, in the 12th century, by Richard Tyson, and was afterwards annexed, by Eustace Fitz John, to the abbey of Alnwick. Remains of the nave and chancel of the church still exist, and are transition Norman. The burying ground is still occasionally used.

Guyzance through time

Guyzance is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Guyzance itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Guyzance, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9198

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Guyzance ".