Place:


Aston Rowant  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aston Rowant like this:

ASTON-ROWANT, a parish in Thame district, Oxford; under the Chiltern hills, near Icknield-street, 3½ miles SE of Tetsworth, and 4 miles SSE of Thame r. station. It includes the liberties of Chalford and Kingston-Blount,-the latter containing the hamlet of Kingston-Stirt; and its Post Town is Tetsworth. ...


Acres, 2,980. Real property, £4,357. Pop., 884. Houses, 182. Aston House is the seat of Thomas Taylor, Esq. Marcasite or crow-iron occurs in the hills. Roman remains have been found in Kingston-field, a short distance from Icknield-street. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £190.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is early English, was repaired in 1850, and contains an elegant ancient font. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £41 a year, and charities £80.

Aston Rowant through time

Aston Rowant is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aston Rowant itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aston Rowant in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9197

Date accessed: 20th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aston Rowant ".