Place:


Steeple Aston  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Steeple Aston like this:

ASTON-STEEPLE, a township and a parish in Woodstock district, Oxford. The township lies on the river Cherwell, the Oxford canal, and the Oxford and Rugby railway, adjacent to Hayford r. station, 6½ miles NNE of Woodstock; and has a post office under Oxford. Real property, £2,846. Pop., 650. ...


Houses, 150. The parish includes also the township of Middle Aston. Acres, A, 870. Real property, £4,214. Pop., 736. Houses, 171. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Molines, and passed to the Hungerfords. A tesselated pavement was ploughed up in the 17th century. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £582. Patron, Brasenose college, Oxford. The church is ancient, but very good. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school. Dr. Samuel Radcliffe, principal of Brasenose college, was for some time rector, and founded a free school and alms-houses.

Steeple Aston through time

Steeple Aston is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Steeple Aston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Steeple Aston, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9182

Date accessed: 11th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Steeple Aston ".