Place:


Church Lawford  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Church Lawford like this:

LAWFORD-CHURCH, a parish, with a village, in Rugby district, Warwick; on the river Avon and the Northwestern railway, near the Fosse way, 3¾ miles E of Brandon r. station, and 4 W by N of Rugby. Posttown, Long-Lawford, under Rugby. Acres, 1,865. Real property, £2, 523. Pop., 311. Houses, 69. ...


The manor and all the land belong to the Duke of Buccleuch. A cutting of the railway here was made by excavation of 500, 000 cubic yards of earth. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Kings-Newnham, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church is good; and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a small tower. A school is supported by the Duke of Buccleueh.

Church Lawford through time

Church Lawford is now part of Rugby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rugby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Church Lawford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Church Lawford, in Rugby and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9168

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Church Lawford ".