Place:


Ardley  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ardley like this:

ARDLEY, a parish in Bicester district, Oxford; on the boundary ditch between Mercia and Wessex, 3½ miles ENE of Heyford r. station, and 4½ NW of Bicester. Post Town, Fritwell under Bicester. Acres, 1,469. Real property, £1,728. Pop., 169. Houses, 36. The property is divided among a few. Foundations exist of a Norman castle, built in the reign of Stephen, on the site of Offa's camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £307.* Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church is good.

Ardley through time

Ardley is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ardley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ardley, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9130

Date accessed: 09th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ardley ".